Odds & Ends: April 19
- A few Kindle deals: How to Make White People Laugh, by Negin Farsad; Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters, by Mallory Ortberg; The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le Guin; The Star-Touched Queen, by Roshani Chokshi; Wonder Woman: Warbringer, by Leigh Bardugo.
- At Lee & Low Books: Writing Contests. "Lee & Low Books offers two annual writing contests that encourage writers of color and Native/Indigenous writers to submit their manuscripts to a publisher that takes pride in nurturing new talent. Winners of each contest receive a cash prize of $2,000 and a standard publishing contract with Lee & Low Books. Honor Award winners receive a cash prize of $1,000."
- At GoFundMe: Help Kathleen Remain At Home. "The truth is most writers like Kathleen are mid-list writers, writers that write, publish and get paid, but writers that continue to hustle to get work to make ends meet. And Kathleen hustled like no one I know. She wrote over 75 children’s, middle grade, young adult, and fantasy books. The first book in her trilogy entitled Skin Hunger, was nominated for a National Book Award 10 years ago. Her writing is succinct, visual, descriptive without being boring, and wonderfully entertaining." It's been over ten years since reading Skin Hunger, and it's still seared into my brain—if you like dark fantasy and you haven't read it, pick it up for sure.
- At Teen Vogue: Standalone Harley Quinn Movie Will Reportedly Be Directed by Cathy Yan, First Asian Woman to Helm a Superhero Film.
- At Geeks of Color: Domhnall Gleeson Is In Talks To Star Alongside Tiffany Haddish In Mob Drama ‘The Kitchen’.
- At SLJ: Erin Entrada Kelly Talks Newbery Award And Filipino Storytelling Tradition. ""We all want to think we’re very open-minded, and we all want to think that we’re very progressive and forward-thinking,” she says. “But the reality is that all of us have preconceived notions of all kinds of things, and if you’re not willing to admit it and suss it out, you’re never going to be able to write authentically outside of your community.""
- At Twitter:
ANNOUNCEMENT! @ramonfbachs will draw the MARVEL RISING: SQUIRREL GIRL/MS. MARVEL miniseries— Spanish Inq (@SpanishInqArt) April 17, 2018
written by the brilliant @Gothamette @GWillowWilson & Ryan North! Link, and Gurihiru's cover for issue #1 attached! Edits by @MightyBrunstad & @MiniB622 for @Marvelhttps://t.co/SfhKE2ePX9 pic.twitter.com/XIcLSkHAPS
Y'all... this is the @CakeLiterary project of my heart. As a kid, I always felt like I didn't have any myths. We'd learn about the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians, "lumped" African, Chinese, etc, and nothing about me, a displaced person, black and in America. pic.twitter.com/6micsn7y9W— Dhonielle "on hiatus" Clayton (@brownbookworm) April 17, 2018