- I read the majority of Mallory Ortberg's review of The Maze Runner aloud to Josh, and after he'd peeled himself off of the floor (from the laughing), he said, "I still want to see it, though. Even with the drum circle." (Thanks to @kurthartwig for reminding me I wanted to link to it!)
- From LawyersandSettlements.com: For Art’s Sake! Prisoner Sues over Book Ban. "Dwight Pink Jr alleges his constitutional rights are being denied because the prison guards at the facility in Connecticut where he is incarcerated, used a policy to deny him access to an “art book”—the “Atlas of Foreshortening”—which contains nude pictures. So this ban also goes under the guise of a ban on pornography." So on one hand, I found this piece annoying because it didn't link to any of the articles it referenced. On the other, all of the articles at regular news outlets had headlines like ABC's—CONVICTED MURDERER SUES STATE OVER PRISON PORN BAN—which, while TECHNICALLY TRUE, are so clearly, obnoxiously, clickbait.
- At SLJ: We Need Diverse Books and School Library Journal Announce Collaboration. "“SLJ has a long and storied history of supporting diverse books, including its May 2014 issue entirely devoted to the subject,” said WNDB VP of Development I.W. Gregorio. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to partner with such a critical voice in the children’s literature world and look forward to creating content that will help teachers, librarians, and booksellers alike diversify their shelves.”"
- Relatedly (and I really thought I'd linked to this before, SORRY ABOUT THAT), We Need Diverse Books has announced the launch of a Walter Dean Myers Award (and some grants)! "The Walter Dean Myers Award, which WNDB representatives have already nicknamed The Walter, will recognize published authors from diverse backgrounds who celebrate diversity in their writing and “[allow] children to see themselves reflected back” in those works, according to WNDB’s announcement to PW."
- From the Hollywood Reporter: J.K. Rowling's Pottermore to Publish Dolores Umbridge Story on Halloween. ""The new exclusive J.K. Rowling content provides a rich, 1,700-word back story about Umbridge’s life filled with many new details, as well as Rowling’s revealing first-person thoughts and reflections about the character," according to the site."
- From Jezebel: OKCupid Dick: 'I'm the Most Published Person On the Planet'. "Pro tip: if you're a semi-well-known writer and you want to act like a total fucking asshole on a dating website, try to avoid bringing up your status as a semi-well-known writer as you're berating a woman for not responding positively to your overtures. It just makes you look worse." SERIOUSLY, IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE WATER? IS THIS ALL HAPPENING AT ONCE BECAUSE MERCURY IS IN RETROGRADE? IS MERCURY EVEN STILL IN RETROGRADE??? More on this at reddit. (via Chrissy)